Mikael Ali, who once lived a life as a member of the notorious gang "Young Guns," one of the oldest and most feared gangs in Oslo and Norway. He was part of the gang during the 2006 shooting incident that took place in Aker Brygge in the middle of a crowd.
But today, Mikael is working to prevent others from making the same mistakes he did. Listen to Mikael's journey from a former gangster and enforcer to a man who is now dedicated to helping young people stay on the right path.
Mikael´s take-home tips:
I have no conclusion but my hard-learned experiences and history which hopefully can be of some use to whoever chooses to listen to my story.
In both episodes, Mikael and I explore the questions and issues around the following:
- What led you to join a gang, and what ultimately made you leave the gang lifestyle?
- Can you describe the work you are currently doing to give back to your community and help prevent others from joining gangs?
- How do you think communities can work to prevent youth from joining gangs in the first place?
- What challenges have you faced in trying to leave the gang lifestyle and give back to the community?
- How do you think society should address the root causes of gang involvement?
- Can you share any specific success stories or positive impacts you have seen as a result of your work in the community?
- What advice would you give to someone currently involved in a gang who wants to leave and give back to their community?
- How do you plan to continue your work in the community in the future?
- What support do you think is necessary for someone who wants to leave a gang and start a new life?
- Can you tell us about a particularly difficult or rewarding moment from your journey to give back to your community?
- What consequences does it have to this day after living over ten years in the destructiveness?
Mikael Ali's contact information:
REFERENCES:Soaring to New Health
S1 E13: Escaping the Addiction of Narcotics, Crime & Violence: Interview with Michel Mateos.
S2 E2: How to Discuss Suicide, Depression & Facing Adversity. Mark Henick: Author, Speaker & Suicide Survivor.
S2 E7: Building an Archive of Human Struggle & Triumph One Story at a Time. Interview with Jimmy Westerheim
We're talking Medicare Stars– what it is, why it’s important, challenges & strategies.
Listen on: Apple Podcasts Spotify Leadership Lessons From The Great Books
Because understanding great literature is better than trying to read and understand...
Listen on: Apple Podcasts SpotifySupport the show
Sign up for the weekly IT'S AN INSIDE JOB NEWSLETTER
- takes 5 seconds to fill out
- receive a fresh update every Wednesday